"After all, things change, so do cities, people come into your life and they go. But it's comforting to know that the ones you love are always in your heart... and if you're very lucky, a plane ride away” - Sex and the City

Sunday, April 24, 2011

130 Pounds of....Sugar!?

How much sugar do you eat a day? A week? A year? According to a Yahoo! article by David Zinczenko, the average American eats "130 pounds of the stuff every 365 days" ("8 Best Supermarket Sweets"). That is 2.8 pounds of sugar a day. We might as well be shoving 12 cups of sugar in our mouth. America, we are officially gross. 

There is no average cost for a filling, but from my most recent trip to the dentist, my father will be paying $175 each for my fillings... Multiply that by 4, and it is a cool $700 to satisfy my sweet tooth(s)... Oops? So while I'd like to preach to everyone how disgusting our sugar intake is, I am sadly one of the statistics. So instead of being hypocritical and tell people we should really stop eating sugar, I'd actually like to stand behind my sugar cravings. Because Hershey's chocolate bars and Reese's peanut butter cups are what keep me going on those late nights at the library. And a bag of peanut M&Ms is what satisfies me when I'm having a bad day. So even though that is the most disgusting statistic I've heard in awhile, I'm just going to turn a deaf ear. Ignorance is bliss, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment