"After all, things change, so do cities, people come into your life and they go. But it's comforting to know that the ones you love are always in your heart... and if you're very lucky, a plane ride away” - Sex and the City

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Like Mother... Like Daughter

Growing up, I was daddy's girl. Inside and out. We both had tan skin, brown eyes, brown hair, and liked to watch football on Saturdays. How could I not turn into him when I got older? Well come college, that's exactly what happened. My mom nor my dad attended college so when SMU's Parents Weekend rolled around, it was needless to say quite entertaining to see them interact in a college atmosphere. What I saw, shocked me. Absolutely shocked me. My mother, in her defense one of the youngest moms, acted as though she was my age the whole weekend. Making friends with all the frat boys, drinking a Keystone like it was a nice glass of Italian wine, and dancing up a storm at the downtown bar, she was in her element. Ironically an element she had never been in before... Well for all I know. After that weekend I saw more comparisons with her than ever. I take on way too many tasks at once and can never say no, understanding the value of a truly good hairspray, obsessively cleaning then making it all a mess the next day, and taking the role as party planner for every little event that inked its way into my planner. Scary as it is, looking back I realize these were all qualities in my mom I had admired. It's just now I appreciate them more. For I am now Kimberly.

No comments:

Post a Comment