"After all, things change, so do cities, people come into your life and they go. But it's comforting to know that the ones you love are always in your heart... and if you're very lucky, a plane ride away” - Sex and the City

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary

Made of vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, pepper, and celery, an olive, and a lemon wedge for garnish, this sounds like the worst combination of ingredients to make a drink. Yet this drink is delightfully tasty and known as one of the best hangover cures. In fact it's proven that the tomato juice actually metabolizes the alcohol in the stomach faster. Served at brunch places and airlines around the world, it's the go-to drink for adults on a nice Saturday brunch day. 
But did you ever think where this drink was named after? Especially since it was named after one of the most horrific legends in witchcraft history. "Bloody Mary" was the witch who appeared to children and scratched out their eyeballs before eventually killing them. Gruesome, I know. The old adage continues to say that if a child spins around in front of a mirror and chants "Bloody Mary" 13 times, the witch will appear in the mirror. This little witchcraft game became a staple of childhood slumber parties around the world. While parents were downstairs popping the popcorn, their children were upstairs summoning witches into their homes. Being the youngest of my cousins, I was always the one summoned into the dark room to do it. And let me tell you, it scares you... when you see the glow of your own reflection in the mirror. "Bloody Mary" does not necessarily appear and well, I still have both my eyes intact without a scratch. Nonetheless it's comical to me that every time I take a sip of my Bloody Mary drink, I can't help but chant "Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary" in my head. The phrase that once jolted my body of fright at 7 years old, now merely rids it of any sign of a hangover at 19.... uh, I mean 21. 

No comments:

Post a Comment