"After all, things change, so do cities, people come into your life and they go. But it's comforting to know that the ones you love are always in your heart... and if you're very lucky, a plane ride away” - Sex and the City

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dream, Dream, Go Away

As a child, I had one dream and one dream only. I was at Six Flags Over Texas with my mom and dad and while on the Texas Giant roller coaster, a tornado hit. Then the next thing I know I'm running in a wheat field with Dorothy's red, sparkly slippers from Wizard of Oz all alone in the middle of a tornado. First one must know that my absolute biggest fear is severe weather, most specifically tornadoes. So why do I choose to live in Texas? No idea. On another note I should say that I had this dream beginning at age nine and it finally ended when I entered college. I didn't understand why I stopped dreaming. Maybe it was the lack of sleep, or no sleep, or maybe I had just grown out of my childish dreams. But then something clicked.

Dorothy's red, sparkly slippers were always tapped to go home. My mom and dad were pictured in the tornado, but not in the wheat field. And more importantly, my parents got divorced when I was nine. Looking back on it all, my childish dream actually had more significance than I could have ever thought of, even now. I was looking for a way home, felt alone, and it was as if I was literally swept off my feet by the announcement of their separation. Psychologists have been saying for years that dreams point to reality. I guess I just didn't see my reality till I stopped dreaming. It was as if the dream of a happy family was gone and reality hit. Like a tornado. 

No comments:

Post a Comment